Cancer has been known to be the second leading cause of death across the world. Cancer in any form is life-threatening, and most people shy away from discussing it. However, creating cancer awareness can be of great benefit to the common people. And physical activity is undeniably good for everyone. It not only keeps you fit but can also help to reduce the risks of cancer. Here is some information about how physical activity can help reduce your risk of cancer.
Exercise and Cancer Risk:
Exercise has many potential and biological effects on your body. Some benefits in relation to specific types of cancer are proposed below:
1) Exercise helps to lower the levels of sex hormones (such as estrogen) and growth factors that are responsible for the development of cancer and its progression.
2) Exercise prevents high blood levels of insulin, which has been associated with the development of cancer.
3) It helps to reduce inflammation.
4) It improves your immune system function.
5) It alters the metabolism of bile acids by decreasing the exposure of the gastrointestinal tract to suspected carcinogens.
6) It reduces the time it takes for the food to travel through the digestive system, which decreases the exposure of the gastrointestinal tract to carcinogens.
7) Exercise helps to prevent obesity. Being obese increases the risk for several types of cancers.
Exercise can be imperative in reducing the risk of developing cancers like breast, colon, endometrial, and lung cancers.
What Exercises Can You Do To Keep Yourself from the Risk of Cancer?
The American College of Sports Medicine recommends at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous exercise every week. It is better to do a combination of both. You can split your activity into short intervals of at least 10 minutes.
Examples of moderate exercise include walking, yoga, etc., and examples of vigorous exercises include running or jogging, fast bicycling, and swimming.
You need to avoid sitting for long periods of time. Extended periods of sitting can lead to obesity which is a risk factor for cancer. Try to keep moving for at least two minutes every hour. You also need to get your kids moving. Encourage your children to exercise regularly, which will help them develop good habits that can help their health for a lifetime.